Former Commonwealth Games 5,000m silver medalist Janet Kisa and upstart Nancy Jelagat will be the stars at the 5th leg of Athletics Kenya Track and Field Championships series this weekend at Mumias Complex, Kakamega.
Kisa, the Africa cross country silver medalist said she will be focusing on competing in 5,000m ahead of the Africa Senior Championships set for August 1-5 in Assaba, Delta State, Nigeria.
“I will be trying my best to emerge the top. I will also be gauging my speed now that I have not competed for a while,” said Kisa, the Africa championships 5,000 m bronze medalists.
After winning Eldoret meeting last weekend at the University of Eldoret ground (UOE), Jelagat, who registered her maiden win in her career said she wants to extend her winning formula to Kakamega in the two day event that kicks off on Friday, ending on Saturday.
Jelagat from Iten was optimistic that her athletics journey has began and wishes to extends winning and make the team for the national trials.
“This is my first time to win in any race. This win has motivated me to compete in Kakamega ahead of national trials,” said Jelagat.
The Kakamega events comes after Kisii, Kisumu and Machakos before taking a break for Commonwealth Games and returned with Eldoret and now to Kakamega.
And Athletics Kenya western Region secretary Homer Mugalitsi disclosed that top athletes will be turning up for track and field events.
“As we speak now, some Ugandan athletes have confirmed competing in our event. They will spice up the championships, with this event attracting world renown runners and this year, there will be no difference as many will be using this meeting ahead of Diamond Leagues,” said Mugalitsi.
Others expected at the championships will be 2015 World 3,000m steeplechase champion Hyvin Kiyeng, who won in Eldoret meeting in 1,500m as she prepares for her Doha Diamond League opener.
With 2018 Diamond League Series set to start on 5th May in Doha and the continental show where many athletes will be using Kakamega meeting as part of their preparations.
Calendar of events
- 27th-28th April – 5th Track and Field Weekend Meet –Kakamega
- 4th -5th May – 6th Track and Field Weekend Meet- Mombasa
- 11th-12th May -7th Track and Field Weekend Meet- Kericho
- 25th-26th May – Counties Athletics Championships- All Counties
- 8th -9thJune- Regional Athletics Championships- All Regions
- 8th -9th June- Kenya Prisons Athletics Championships- Nairobi
- 13th- 15th June- National Police Athletics Championships- Nairobi
- 16th -17th June- Kenya Universities Athletics Championships- Kenyatta University
- 20th-22nd June- Kenya Defence Forces Athletics Championships- Nairobi.