Michael Okombe’s murder case failed to kick off today after trial judge who was absent.
Okombe, the slain international rugby player’s case was to be heard in a Nakuru Court but Deputy Registrar Joe Omido adjourned the matter to another date.
The court was informed that the Judge handling the matter, Justice Joel Ngugi was away on official duties.
“The hearing of the matter will be adjourned to December 3 when the trial judge will be available,” ruled Mr Omido.
The former rugby star was brutally killed on November 14 last year while attending a birthday party at his friend’s house at Olive-inn estate in Rongai Sub County, Nakuru
Two suspects including his former girlfriend, Ms Maryanne Mumbi and his teammate Mr Calvin Okoth were charged in connection with his murder.
According to the charge sheet, the two are said to have jointly killed Mr Okombe following an argument.
They however denied the charges and were freed on a Sh500,000 bond each.
An autopsy conducted by a government pathologist Mr Titus Ngulungu indicated that Mr Okombe died as a result of excessive loss of blood caused by a direct penetration of a sharp object to the skin muscle covering the heart.
A witness, Mr Vincent Omondi who testified earlier said he was at the party and witnessed one of the suspects Maryann Mumbi stab Okombe on the chest using a kitchen knife leading to his death.
Mr Omondi, who is a brother to the second accused person said the events leading to the death of the rugby star resulted from arguments originating from a truth and dare game
Source Daily Nation