World half marathon record holder Joyceline Jepkosgei lost New Delhi Half marathon title to Ethiopia’s Tsehay Gemechu in women’s race.
It was a 1-2 finish for Ethiopia in men;s race as Andamlak Belihu and Amdework Walelegn dominated the race as Daniel Kipchumba edged out experienced Eritrean Aron Kifle for bronze.
Jepkosgei faced off with Olympic champion Tirunesh Dibaba but Tsehay won with a course record of 1:06:50 on her first half marathon debut as shed off four seconds in nine-year-old previous record for the IAAF Gold Label Road Race, set by Kenya’s Mary Keitany in 2009.
The 20-year-old Ethiopian out-sprinted the world record holder Jepkosgei who returned second in 1:06:56 as Zeineba Yimer was third in 1:06:59.
In men’s race, Belihu crossed the finish line in 59:18 with Amdewok finishing four seconds behind him in 59:22.
Kipchumba and Kifle also broke the hour in Delhi with 59:48 and 59:50 in third and fourth in that order, to emphasise the depth and quality of the race and potential for running quick times on the course.
- Andamlak Belihu (ETH) 59:18
- Amdework Walelegn (ETH) 59:22
- Daniel Kipchumba (KEN) 59:48
- Aron Kifle (ERI) 59:50
- Aweke Ayalew (BRN) 1:00:09
- Leonard Korir (USA) 1:00:12
- Abdallah Mande (UGA) 1:00:34
- Betesfa Getahun (ETH) 1:00:47
- Emmanuel Bett (KEN) 1:00:48
- Alfred Ngeno (KEN) 1:04:07
- Tsehay Gemechu (ETH) 1:06:50
- Joyciline Jepkosgei (KEN) 1:06:56
- Zeineba Yimer (ETH) 1:06:59
- Stacy Ndiwa (KEN) 1:07:15
- Ababel Yeshaneh (ETH) 1:07:49
- Tirunesh Dibaba (ETH) 1:08:36
- Worknesh Degefa (ETH) 1:11:04
- Tejitu Daba (BRN) 1:12:49
- Failuna Matanga (TAN) 1:12:51
- Sanijvani Jadhav (IND) 1:13:58