Kenyan Angela Tanui led her sister Euliter Tanui to triumphed at the 87th edition of Venice marathon race held today ran in Italy.
As former champion and course record John Komen finished in 6th position in a race won by Ethiopian Mekuant Gebre Ayemen in men’s race.
Ran under heavy downpour with waterlogged road, Tanui won the race in 2:31.27 breaking the long wait for Kenyan women runners to clinch the title since Mary Kibarus won in 2013.
Ethiopia’s Sorome Amente broke the Kenyan podium sweep when she came second timing 2:38.56 as Tanui junior Euliter came in third position clocking 2:40.53.
In men’s category, Gebre won the race timing 2:13.22 ahead of Kenya’s Gilbert Chumba in second position in 2:13.49 as Stephen Kiplimo completed the podium at 2:13.56.
- Angela Tanui (KEN)-2:31.27
- Sorome Amente (ETH)-2:38.56
- Euliter Tanui (KEN)-2:40.53
- Brendah Kebeya (KEN)-2:44.22
- Nikolina Sustic (Croatia)-2:50.15
- Maurizia Cunico -2:55.39
- Mekuant Gebre Ayenen (ETH)-2:13.22
- Gilbert Chumba (KEN)-2:13.49
- Stephen Kiplimo (KEN)-2:13.56
- Philip Kangogo (KEN)-2:14.05
- Vincent Kiptoo (KEN)-2:17.32
- John Komen (KEN)-2:19.46