Three time London marathon Mary Keitany rebranded herself to win 2018 New York marathon title held today in USA to reclaim her fourth title.
Keitany, who lost the 2017 title to American Shalane Flanagan also beat her main rival, the reigning London marathon champion Vivian Cheruiyot who finished second.
It was a sweet revenge for Keitany, who had lost the 2017 London marathon to Cheruiyot in April after clocking 2:22:52 to finish first ahead of compatriot Cheruiyot’s 2:26:02.
She also defeated Ethiopians Netsanet Gudeta and Rahma Tusa to win as the second fastest runner on the course after Margaret Okayo’s course record of 2:22:31 set in 2003.
Keitany back-to-back in 2014, 2015 and 2016, claimed the London Marathon victory last year in all women’s World Record time of 2:17:01.
The reigning Olympic 5,000m champion Cheruiyot defeated the defending champion Flanagan who settled for third in 2:26:20.
- Mary Keitany (KEN) — 2:22:48
- Vivian Cheruiyot (KEN) — 2:26:02
- Shalane Flanagan (USA) — 2:26:22
- Molly Huddle (USA) — 2:26:44
- Rahma Tusa (ETH) — 2:27:13
- Des Linden (USA) — 2:27:51
- Allie Kieffer (USA) — 2:28:12
- Lisa Weightman (AUS) — 2:29:11
- Mamitu Daska (ETH) — 2:30:31
- Belaynesh Fikadu (ETH) — 2:30:47