Former Chicago marathon winners Dickson Chumba and Florence Kiplagat will be chasing another title at the Sunday’s Tokyo Marathon race in Japan.
Counting as World Marathon Majors race, Chumba will be defending his Tokyo title while Kiplagat, the former world half marathon record holder will be making her debut in the Japanese Capital.
Chumba and Kiplagat were the winners of 2015 Chicago marathon.
Chumba won 2018 Tokyo marathon title clocking 2:05.30 though failing to beat the course record of 2:03.58 set by then winner Wilson Kipsang.
Kapsabet born runner will be marshaling with Kenyans Nobert Kigen, Gideon Kipketer, Marius Kipserem and Bedan Karoki.
Others include Ethiopia’s Birham Legese, Seifu Tura, Deme Abate, Bahrain’s El Hassan Abbassi, homeboys Ryo Kiname, Shogo Nakamura, Yuki Sato, Kenta Murayama, Jo Fukuda, Shohei Otsuka and Daichi Kamino.
In women category, focus will be on Kiplagat who failed to reclaim her Chicago marathon title as she returns from long spell of injuries.
She will be chaisng the title against country mate like Ruth Chebitok and Joan Chelimo who is debuting in the race.
Others in the race include Ethiopia’s Aga Ruti, Feyse Tadese, Yebrgual Melese, Belete Mimi and Bahrain’s World marathon champion Rose Chelimo
The Iten based runner has competed at Kiplagat six times (2013,2014,2015,2016,2017 and 2018), Berlin Marathon two times (2011 and 2013) and Chicago Marathon four times (2014,2015,2016 and 2017).
elite Tokyo marathon line-up
1. Birhanu Legese (ETH)-2:-04.15
2. Dickson Chumba (KEN)-2:04.32
3. El Hassan Abbassi (BRN)-2:04.43
4. Seifu Tura (ETH)-2:04.44
5. Nobert Kigen (KEN)-2:05.13
6. Suguru Osako (JPN)-2:05.50
7. Gideon Keter (KEN)-2:05.51
8. Marius Kipserem (KEN)-2:06.11
9. Deme Tadu Abate (ETH)-2:06.47)
10. Bedan Karoki (KEN)-2:07.41
11. Ryo Kiname (JPN)-2:08.08
12. Shogo Nakamura (JPN)- 2:08.16
13. Yuki Sato (JPN)-2:08.58
14. Kenta Murayama (JPN)- 2:09.50
15. Jo Fukuda (JPN)- 2:09.52
16. Shohei Otsuka (JPN)-2:10.12
17. Daichi Kamino (JPN)-2:10.18.
1. Ruti Aga (ETH)-2:18.34
2. Feyse Boru Tadese (ETH)-2:19.30
3. Yebrgual Melese (ETH)-2:19.36
4. Florence Kiplagat (KEN)-2:19.44
5. Shure Demise (ETH)-2:20.59
6. Bedatu Hirpa (ETH)-2:21.32
7. Mimi Belete (BHN)-2:22.51
8. Helen Tola (ETH)-2:22.48
9. Rose Chelimo (KEN)-2:22.51
10. Ruth Chebitok (KEN)-2:23.29
11. Honami Maeda (JPN)-2:23.48
12. Yuka Takashima (JPN)-2:26.13
13. Keiko Nohami (JPN)-2:26.33
14. Ababel Yeshaneh (ETH)– 2:33.10
15. Joan Chelimo (KEN)- debut.