Zubair Khan stormed into the lead of the ongoing Kenya Amateur Junior Stroke Play Championship at the par 71 Muthaiga Golf Club course.
Playing on home course, Khan played one over par 72 and a two rounds total of 148 to lead by two shots from club-mate Mutahi Kibugu who also shot 72 for 150.
Round one leader Njoroge Kibugu who carded 79 to drop to fifth place on 154 while another Muthaiga player Taimur Malik and Thika’s Brian Omondi tied for third on 153 after firing three over par 74 each.
The fourth and final round is set for today in the event being sponsored by Crown Paints PLC for the seventh year running. A total of 66 junior golfers drawn from various clubs in the country are participating in this year’s championship.
The 72-hole event is the top junior event in the Junior Golf Foundation (JGF) calendar of events which counts towards the Junior Golfer of the Year or Oder of Merit which will be followed immediately by the Moses Tanui Inter-regional golf tournament at Nakuru Golf Club
The leaderboard at the end of Tuesday morning’s second round;
- 148 Zubair Khan( Muthaiga) 76, 72
- 150 Mutahi Kibugu (Muthaiga) 78, 72
- 153 Taimur Malik (Muthaiga 79, 74
- 153 Brian Omondi (Thika Sports) 79, 74
- 154 Njoroge Kibugu (Muthaiga) 75, 79
- 156 Emmanuel Njugu (Muthaiga) 80, 76
- 157 Noah Korir (Nandi Bears) 80, 77
- 158 Steve Orinda (Vet Lab) 82, 76
- 159 Lee Kimathi (Windsor) 84, 75
- 159 Victor Maiyo (Kericho) 79, 80