The University of Eldoret (UOE) and Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) have an upper hand to defend their Badminton titles at the weekend’s Kenya Universities Sports Association (KUSA) national Open championships.
UOE and JKUAT were badminton winners in men and women titles respectively and will have an opportunity to defend their titles after qualifying for the event that sets off on Saturday to Sunday in Eldoret.
In men, UOE defeated Kisii for the title as Maseno, who dominated in basketball settled for bronze while JKUAT stunned UOE for the title and Kisii managing third position.
As thr games are set off tomorrow, KUSA secretary General Joseph Sandagi said the teams are prepared for the open tournament before next month’s national championships at the same venue.
“We expect a tough competition from teams that are preparing for the national play-offs next month. From where I sit, I have known that various team managers have prepared their teams very well for the open tournament,” said Sandagi.
With many teams qualifying for the national open championships, Sandapi said that they need to grow sports in the universities to prepare them for future encounters.
“We have put in place strategies on how to grow sports in the institutions. We are hoping to ensure we adhere to the rules of the game from the start to the end,” he added.
Other disciplnes include basketball and athletics, Chess, Scrabble and table Tennis for both men and women.
1. Basketball (M) JKUAT, USIU, Murang’a, Kisii, MMUST, Moi, TUM, UOE, Maseno, DeKUT, JOOUST, TUK, Meru and Daystar
2. Basketball (W)- USIU, Kisii, MMUST, Moi, TUM, UOE, Maseno, DeKUT, JOOUST, TUK and Daystar,
3. Badminton (M)- JKUAT, Kisii, UOE, Maseno, Moi,
4. Badminton (W)- JKUAT, Murang’a, UOE, Maseno,
5. Chess (M)- JKUAT, USIU, MMUST, UOE, Maseno, TUK and TUM
6. Chess (W)- JKUAT, USIU, MMUST, UOE, TUK,
7. Scrabble (M)- JKUAT, MMUST, UOE, Daystar
8. Scrabble (W)- JKUAT, MMUST, UOE, Daystar
9. Table Tennis (M)- JKUAT, Murang’a, Kisii, Moi, UOE, TUM and TUK
10. Table Tennis (W)- JKUAT, UOE, TUM,
11. Athletics (M&W)- JKUAT, Murang’a, Kisii, MMUST, Moi, UOE, Maseno, DeKUT, TUM, JOOUST, TUK, Meru and Daystar