National cross country champion Kibiwott Kandie won silver at the World half marathon championships held this afternoon in Gdynia, Poland.
The RAK half marathon champion finished second behind Uganda’s Jacob Kiplimo, winning the first medal after transiting into senior races.
19 year old Kiplimo stunned a rich field to win the World Half Marathon Championships gold 58:49 to erase the championships record set by Geoffrey Kamwroror record time of 59:08 set in 2014 Copenhagen.
Kandie clocked 58:54 for second place with Ethiopia’s Amedework Walelegn coming in third in a personal best 59:08 as World cross country and 10,000m world champion Joshua Cheptegei also from Uganda came in fourth in a personal best 59:21 in his first half marathon race.
- Jacob Kiplimo (UG)- 58:49
- Kibiwott Kandie (KEN)- 58:54
- Amedework Walelegn (ETH)- 59:08
- Joshua Cheptegei (UG)- 59:21
- Andamlak Belihu (ETH)- 59:32
- Leonard Barsoton (KEN)- 59:34
- Stephen Mokoka (RSA)- 59:36
- Morhad Amudoun (FRA)- 59:40
- Bernard Kimeli (KEN)- 59:42
- Leul Gebresilase (ETH)- 59:45