Geoff Mayes will use a new co-driver Charles Sayer-Pyne at the weekend’s Guru Nanak Rally that has attracted 24 drivers on Tuesday morning.
The British international and British Rally Championship regular, Sayer-Payne, will fly out to experience her first overseas rally when she joins Mayes in his Kingsway Tyres supported Landrover V8.
Last year, Mayes scored an SPV podium with Scottish born Jamie MacTavish at the Guru Nanak Rally and this year, Mayes is hoping to a better result having completely rebuilt his rally raid car, including a total engine overhaul.
Sayer-Payne has a string of overall podiums and fastest stage times in UK rallies but is relishing the unique challenges of competing in Africa. “When I was asked if I wanted to compete I jumped at the chance, but having watched some in-car of Geoff in action I think it could be a real adventure! I’ve warned Geoff that I might be too busy game viewing to remember to call the notes, but either way, it’s going to be a lot of fun!”
Geoff, who is a motorsport ambassador for “Hands off our Elephants” is contesting both the Kenyan Rally Championship and the Kenyan Rally Raid Championship in the same car, with support from Silver spread Rally Team Meru, Kingsway Tyres, ExcelRide Suspension and Purdy Arms of Karen.
This year’s Guru Nanak will be held in Naivasha and Delamere farm on Sunday.
According to Clerk of the Course Sinder Sudle, three stages Hay Gate-Eland (31.3km), Nyati (24.85km) and Aberdare (22.85km) will be repeated twice to make up a competitive mileage of 158km and a liaison distance of 196.31km. The service park which will be visited thrice on the day and will be based at Bufallo Mall in Naivasha. The designated spectator stage will be based at Aberdares Hill.
The seventh round of the Kenya National Rally Championship (KNRC) has attracted top competitors including series leader Ian Duncan (72points), second placed Manvir Baryan (68points), speedster Tapio Laukkanen (63points) and fourth placed Carl “Flash” Tundo (60points), fifth placed youngster Karan Patel (59points), sixth placed ‘Flying Singh’ Baldev Singh Chager (58points) seventh placed former Kenya and Africa champion Jassi Chatthe on 36, Nakuru based Skoda R5 driver Onkar Singh Rai and Farhaaz Khan ninth on 28 and Tejveer Rai who is lying 10th on 12points. This year’s series has been dominated by Multiple Racing Team of Manvir (Skoda) and Tapio. Tapio driving his traditional Subaru Impreza won the ARC Safari Rally and Eldoret whilst youngster Manvir who is the African champion in the making was the victor on the season opening Mombasa Rally and the fourth Fly540 RSC Rally in Kajiado.
This year’s round 5 Nanyuki in July was declared a ‘Force Majure’ following farm invasions in Loldaiga region while round 6 Nakuru Rally initially planned for August was pushed to December due to the General Elections. Round 8 KMSC Rally will take place on the weekend of November 11-12 around Lisa Farm area.
This year’s KNRC is cosponsored by KCB and Red Bull.
GURU NANAK RALLY ENTRIES SO FAR
- Baldev Chager/Ravi Soni (Mitsubishi EVOX-KABRAS SUGAR RACING)
- Mahesh Halai/Ketan Halai (Subaru Impreza-SHAMBA BOYZ MOTORSPORTS)
- Geoff Mayes/ Charley Sayer-Payne (Land Rover V8)
- Carl “Flash” Tundo/Tim Jessop
- Onkar Rai/Gareth Dawe (Skoda-KABRAS SUGAR RACING)
- Stefano Roca/Piers Daykin (Datsun)
- Karan Patel/James Mwangi Harrison (Mitsubishi EVO10-FILMICO RACING TEAM)
- Ammar Haq/Victor Okundi (Subaru Impreza-TEAM YALFA)
- Ian Duncan/Amaar Slatch (Mitsubishi EVO10-LIQUID TELECOM KENYA)
- Amaanraj Rai (Ford Fiesta-RAI RACING)
- Tapio Laukkanen/Gavin Laurence (Subaru –MULTIPLE RACING TEAM)
- Manvir Baryan/Drew Sturrock (Skoda– MULTIPLE RACING TEAM)
- Edward Maina/Tony Kimondo
- Ramesh Vishram/Riyaz Ismail (Ford Escort MK2-CEMENTERS RACING TEAM)
- Farhaaz Khan/Keith Henrie (Mitsubishi-OILIBYA RACING)
- Osman Abdullahi/George Mwangi (LOGITAC RALLY TEAM)
- Natasha Tundo/Chantal Young (Subaru Impreza-HAI RALLY CHIX)
- Piero Cannobio/Sylvia Frigo (Mitsubishi)
- Sammy Nyorri/Mwangi Waithaka (Toyota RunX)
- David Kioni/TBA
- Jasmeet Chana/Ravi Chana (Mitsubishi EVO10-CRS RACING TEAM)
- Tejveer Rai/Zahir Shah (Mitsubishi EVO10-KABRAS SUGAR RACING)
- Eric Bengi/Tuta Mionki (Subaru Impreza-MENENGAI CREAM BOYZ/GALZ)
- Dr. Jutley