Competing at Mombasa marathon for the third time, forty year older Dismas Ewet Lotira and Peris Cherono were crowned the champions of Mombasa International Marathon held today in Mombasa.
- Cosmas Koech, Shelimita Muriuki to defend Mombasa marathon title
- Mombasa marathon prize money increased
It was the same script in men’s 10km run as Stephen Mwendwa defended his title as Naomi Jepngetich clinched the women’s title.
Kaptagat based Lotira won the men’s 42km in 2:16. 52 ahead of Arit Kigen who finished second timing 2:17:45.0 before Abraham Too completing the podium in 2:18:31.
The octogenarian runner said he has achieved what he has been competing for in the last three years.
“I have tried in vain to win this race but today, my dream has come true. I have been competing here for the last three years and today I managed to win,” said the never give up man.
In his past events, Lotira finished third in the 2010 Antwerp Marathon, said he will continue training as he looks for a sponsor to help him take part in an international marathon outside the country.
Young Cherono won the women’s race timing 2:30:44 foillowed by Alice Mogire (2:32.43) and Elizabeth Rumolo (2:32.53).
The Iten based runner was lucky to collect the kshs 500,000 for her training in preparation for future international marathons
Planning to compete at next year’s Beijing marathon, the 28 year old had finished third at the Yellow River Marathon in China in May.
In the men’s 10km race, Stephen Mwendwa of Makueni emerged the winner in a time of 33:17.39, Daniel Kayiok of Kisii was second in 33:34.0, with Narok’s Kipkorir Birir taking third place in a time of 33:40.16.
Naomi Jepngetich returned 35:14.17 to clinch the women’s race, followed by Nancy Rotich, whose time was 35:16.5 and Judith Cherono took third place after clocking 36: 48.30.
- Dismas Ewet Lotira (2:16:52.0)
- Arit KIgen (2:17:45.0)
- Abraham Too (2:18:31.77)
- Samson Kibor (2:19:13.63)
- Evans Kiprotich (2:19:20)
- Nathan Kioko (2:19:38.0)
- Edwin Mukua (2:19:50.58)
- Benson Waweru (2L:21:30.9)
- El;isha Kimutai (2:21:41.31)
- Philip Kirui (2:21:50.04).
- Peris Cherono (2:30:44.56)
- Alice Mogire (2:32:43.41)
- Elizabeth Rumokol (2:32:53.70)
- Pamela Chepkoech (2:33:26.92)
- Pauline Mutua (2:33:40.41)
- Damaris Areba (2:39:04.09)
- Alice Chemele (2:39:38.97)
- Gladys Cheprotich (2:42:50.46)
- Beatrice Ruto (2:44:24.12)
- Susan Chepkoech (2:47:45.04).
- Stephen Mwendwa (33:17.39)
- Daniel Kayiok (33:34.0)
- Kipkorir Birir (33:40.16)
- Philip Mulei (33:48.03)
- Bethwel Biwott (34:14.82).
- Naomi Jepngetich (35:14.17)
- Nancy Rotich (35:16.5)
- Judith Cherono (36:48.30)
- Shauline Chepkirui (37:13.19)
- Zipporah Eleman (37:22.43)