Newly crowned National cross country champion Kibiwott Kandie extended his winning ways at Ras Al Khaimah half marathon ran today morning in United Arab Emirates as Ethiopia’s Ababel Brihane won with a world record.
Kandie, who won the national cross country title last Saturday, won the title in 58:58, leading Kenyans in a 1-2 podium finish with Alexander Munyao in second at 59:16 with Ethiopian Washun Lakwe ending the podium with a 59:47.
But Birhane spoiled Kenyan party by breaking the world record that was held by Kenya’s Joyciline Jepkosgei with 20 winning in 64:31.
In a classic race where world marathon record holder Brigid Kosgei, former world half marathon record holder Peres Jepchirchir among others, Birhane broke away to break the world record with Kosgei, who clocked 64:28 last year during the Great North Half Marathon coming second in 64:49.
Rosemary Wanjiru Monica, who was making her debut over the distance, finished third after clocking a personal best time of 1:05:34.
Top ten finishers
- Kibiwott Kandie (KEN)- 58:58
- Alexander Munyao (KEN)- 59:16
- Wasihun Lakew (ETH)- 59:47
- Alfred Barkach (KEN)- 59:49
- Vincent Raimoi (KEN)- 59:51
- Leonard Barsoton (KEN)- 60:02
- Gabriel Geay (TAZ)- 60:09
- Joseph Ng’ang’a (KEN)- 60:13
- Maxwell Rotich (UG)- 60:20
- Abdalla Mande (UG)- 60:35
- Ababel Birhane (ETH)- 64:31
- Brigid Kosgei (KEN)- 64:49
- Rosemary Monica (KEN)- 65:34
- Evaline Chirchir (KEN)- 66:01
- Joan Chelim0 (KEN)- 66:16
- Yelemerf Densa (ETH)- 66:35
- Magdalene Shauri (TAZ)- 66:37
- Vivian Kiplagat (KEN)- 66:38
- Degisu Asires (ETH)- 67:02
- Fancy Chemutai (KEN)- 68:02