Eldoret Club’s golfer Aron Kitur will be hoping to register good results at the Sigona Bowl, the opening leg of Kenya Amateur Golf Championships (KAGC), formerly Golfer of the Year (GOTY) this weekend on par 72 Sigona Golf Club.
With Kenya Golf Union (KGU) introducing three other events on the calendar, the golfers will be playing in 21 meetings across the country, where they will be playing 36 hole in the two day event that tees off on Saturday to Sunday, Kitur said he has been training well on the 9-nine Eldoret golf club to climb the ladder of success in Sigona.
Kitur, the long hitter said his preparations for the tournament started a while ago, knowing the challenge on the course, which is faster than the Eldoret one.
“In my preparations, I have had many tournaments, earning good results and I want to extend the same to Sigona. Being a 36 hole tournament on an 18 hole course, it poses a challenge now that Eldoret is a nine-hole course. I want to do my best for top positions,” said Kitur.
Working in the green keepers’ department at the club, Kitur will be accompanied by his former club captain Jack Tuwei from Eldoret, while Nandi Bears will be represented club chairman Mutai Kenduiyo, Elly Barno, Nelson Koech and captain Simon Chepkwony.
“I have heard I very good and fantastic training all through this time and heading into Sigona Bowl, it will be another day out, full of golf with an aim of winning good results come Sunday afternoon,” said Kitur.
The event will kick off on Saturday 23rd where the amateurs will play 18 holes before Sunday’s 18 holes for a total of 36 holes.
Playing off handicap 5, Kitur said that in these 21 meetings after the introduction of three other meetings like Goldfields to played on par 72 Kakamega Golf Club, Ronald Marshall in Njoro and Nandi Bears Trophy, it has opened doors for many amateurs to sharpen their skills before turning professionals in the country.
“With the introduction of some events in the KGU Calendar, this is one of the greatest opportunity for golf to grow widely in the country, covering almost all golf clubs in the country,” he added.
KGU 2021 KAGC calendar
- Sigona Bowl (Sigona Club)- 23rd-24th January 2021
- MT Kenya Championships (Nyeri Club)- 6th-7th February 2021
- Muthaiga Open (Muthaiga Club)- 20th-21st February 2021
- Windsor Classic (Windsor Club)- 26th -27th March 2021
- Winston Churchill Trophy (Thika Sports)- 24th-25th April 2021
- Goldfields Trophy (kakamega Club)- 1st-2nd May
- Kenya Amateur Matchplay (Muthaiga Club)- 13th-16th May 2021
- Railway Invitation (Railway Club)- 29th-30 May 2021
- Trans Nzoia Open Championships (Kitale)- 5th-6th June 2021
- Coronation and bendor Trophy (Nakuru)- 19th-20th June 2021
- Limuru Open (Limuru Club)- 10th-11th July 2021
- Coast Open (Mombasa Club)- 31st-1st August 2021
- Nyanza Open (Nyanza Club)- 14th-15th August 2021
- Karen Challenge (Karen)- 21st-22nd August 2021
- Ronald Marshall and Trophy (Njoro Club)- 4th-5th September 2021
- Kabete Open (Vet Lab)- 18th-19th September 2021
- Tea Fields (Kericho)- 2nd-3rd October 2021
- Nandi Bears Trophy (Nandi Bears)- 16th-17th October 2021
- Kenya Amateur Strokeplay championships (Nakuru)- 21st-24th October
- Manchester Salver (Eldoret)- 6th-7th November 2021
- Uhuru Shield (Royal Club)- 3rd-4th December 2021
- Nyali Open (Nyali Club)- 11th-12th December 2021.