Olympic 10,000m silver medallist Kalkidan Gezahegne won The Giants Geneva 10km today with a world record.
As world half marathon record holder Kibiwott Kandie, winning the men’s race.
The Bahrain international, broke the record in 29:38 breaking the world record by five seconds after beating Agnes Tirop, who last month set a women-only world record of 30:01 for the 10km distance and former world under 20 3,000m steeplechase champion Celliphine Chespol with Ethiopia’s Dawit Seyaum coming 4th.
Gezahegne crossed the finish line in 29:38 to take five seconds off Joyciline Jepkosgei’s world record set in Prague in 2017. Tirop finished second in 30:20, eight seconds ahead of steeplechase specialist Chespol. Seyaum was further back in fourth, clocking 31:25.
In the men’s race, world half marathon record-holder Kibiwott Kandie had fellow Kenyans Felix Kipkoech and Boniface Kibiwott swept the podium for Kenyans in 26:51, as Kipkoech was second in 26:57
- Kalkidan Gezahegne (BHR)- 29:38
- Agnes Tirop (KEN)- 30:19
- Celliphine Chespol Chepteek (KEN)- 30:28
- Dawit Seyaun (ETH)- 31:25
- Helen Bekele (ETH)- 31”43
- Karolina Nadolska (POL)- 32:39
- Nina Lauwaert (NED)- 33:57
- Danielle Hodginson (GBR)- 35:21
- Kibiwott Kandie (KEN)- 26:50
- Felix Kipkoech (KEN)- 26:50
- Boniface Kibiwott (KEN)- 27:12
- Pietro Riva (ITA)- 28:05
- Morgan Laguen (SUI)- 28:32
- Mohrad Amdouw (FRA)- 28:32
- Yohannes Chiappinelli (ITA)- 28:47
- Medhi Frere (FRA)- 28:48