South Africa athletes dominated the conluded 5th edition of Africa Universities Cross Country Championship that were held at the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (Jkuat) grounds on Saturday
The fight, which was between Kenya as the host and South Africa, earned the southern top positions in both men and women, to fly back with the overall title.
In men, Maxime Cheutmeton from the University of Johannesburg won the 10km title in 30:54.0 followed by Kenya’s Geoffrey Chirchir from Egerton University 31:33.0 and Kenyatta University’s Emmanuel Ngemo Kipngetich completing the podium timing 32:01.0.
The 4th position was awarded by Derrick Njoroge Chege of Technical University of Kenya in 32:02.0 followed by Thamsanga Khonco of the University of Johannesburg 32:14.0.
In women, Kenyatta University’s Diana Wanza won the title 38:03.0 ahead of Nicole Van der Mew of the University of Johannesburg in 40:15.0 before Diana Lagat of Bomet University completing the podium in 42:19.0
Beatrice Themane (Tshwane University) was 4th when she clocked 42:44.0 followed by Welam Nkuna from the University of Johannesburg in 43:29.0.
With such results,
- Diana Wanza (Kenyatta University) KEN 38:03.0
- Nicole Vab der Mew (University of Johannesburg) RSA 40:15.0
- Diana Lagat (Bomet University) 42:19.0
- Beatrice Themane (Tshwane University) RSA 42:44.0
- Welam Nkuna (University of Johannesburg) RSA- 43:29.0
- Sisanda Dumisa (University of Johannesburg) 44:23.0
- Caroline Wambui Wangechi (Meru University) KEN 44:44.0
- Sheila Jepkorir Kipruto (Meru University) KEN 46:07.0
- Judy Chepkorir (Chuka University) KEN 48:29.0
- Lydia Jechumba (Masinde Muliro) KEN 48:44.0
- Maxime Cheutmeton (University of Johannesburg) RSA 30:54.0
- Geoffrey Chirchir (Egerton University) 31:33.0
- Emmanuel Ngemo Kipngetich (Kenyatta University) 32:01.0
- Derrick Njoroge Chege (TUK) KEN 32:02.0
- Thamsanga Khonco (University of Johannesburg) 32:14.0
- Emmanuel Otim (Makerere University) UGA 32:23.0
- Sam Cheptegei (Makerere University) 32:33.0
- Geoffrey Makori (Maseno University) 32:46.0
- Dennis Maritim (MKU) KEN 32:58.0
- Duncan Kipngetiu (Kisii University) KEN- 33:06.0