Two time Olympic Games 1,500m silver medalist Hellen Obiri and Commonwealth Games 10,000m bronze medalist Rodgers Kwemoi Chumo were the best Kenyans at the Ras Al Khaimah half marathon held today in United Arab Emirates.
Obiri and Kwemoi won silver behind champions Girmawit Gebrzihair Gebru of Ethiopia and Jacob Kiplimo from Uganda respectively.
Kiplimo, who is also the world half marathon record holder, was not cowed by the presence of Kenyan athletes, breaking away in the initial stages to claim victory in spectacular fashion.
He crossed the line in 57:56 while Rodgers Kwemoi came in second in 58:30. Another Kenyan Kenneth Kiprop Renju settled for third place in 58:35.
The two time world 5,000m champion Obiri came in second in 1:04:22 followed by two time national cross country champion Sheila Chepkurui sealing the podium in 1:04:36.
In men, Kwemoi, making his debut was second as Kenyans Daniel Mateiko (58:45), Alexander Munyao (58:48) and Abel Abel Kipchumba 59:47 were in the sixth, seventh and eighth positions respectively.
- Jacob Kiplimo (UGA)-57:56
- Rodgers Kwemoi Chumo (KEN)- 58:30
- Kenneth Kiprop Menju (KEN)- 58:35
- Seif Tura Abdiwak (ETH)- 58:36
- Amdewak Walelegn Tadese (ETH)- 58:40
- Daniel Kibet mateiko (KEN)- 58:45
- Alexander Mutiso Munyao (KEN)-58:48
- Abel Kipchumba (KEN)- 59:47
- Alphonce Felix Simbu (TAZ)- 60:03
- Kennedy Kimutai (KEN)- 60:10
- Girmawit Gebrzihair Gebru (ETH)-64:14
- Hellen Onsando Obiri (KEN)- 64:22
- Sheila Chepkirui (KEN)- 64:36
- Judith Jeptum Korir (KEN)- 65:28
- Bosena Molatie mogesie (ETH)- 65:46
- Eilish McColgan (GBR)- 66:26
- Daisy Cherotich (KEN)-66:33
- Eunice Chebichii Chumba (BHR)- 67:22
- Pauline Nagoroi Esikon (KEN)- 67:50